Plastic coffee table: pros and cons
Nowadays plastic coffee tables become more and more popular. What is a secret of this popularity? First of all, it is a relative cheapness, of course. You see, it is really rather difficult to find, for example, a coffee table for $10-15.
But like many other things in the world, this kind of furniture has its own advantages and disadvantages.
Let’s discuss both matters in details.
- Low price, as it was mentioned above. Plastic coffee tables are an excellent value for money and comfort.
- Practicality and durability. Plastic is a material, which is susceptible neither to corrosion nor putrefaction processes. Moreover it does not swell and deform under the moisture influence. Plastic coffee tables are really easy to be used. It is enough to wash its surface or even just wipe it with a damp cloth.
- Storing and transportation. Plastic coffee tables are very light, so it is easy to carry them from one room to another at any moment.
- Variety. Nowadays at the plastic furniture market there is a wide range of colors and models with different designs. You can even buy plastic coffee tables with a special surface, simulating the different texture of natural materials such as marble, wood or metal.
- Artificial origin. Often when you heat this kind of furniture it gives off different toxic substances. For caution reasons, it is strongly recommended to keep your plastic coffee tables away from any heating objects in your house and to air the room as often as possible.
- Mechanical exposures. Everybody knows that noticeable scratches often appear on the plastic, and eventually it may break if you hit it. By the way you can protect your plastic coffee table covering it, for example, by a tablecloth.
- Direct sunlight (as well as very low temperatures) is considered to be rather harmful for this kind of furniture. If your plastic coffee table is exposed to direct sunlight for a long time, it is likely to fuse and becomes unusable. Moreover, the surface of any plastic furniture can fade with incorrect use of this kind.
- Incompatibility with some interior styles. Pieces of furniture made of plastic are sometimes not universal elements of any kind of the interior. Plastic coffee tables are a prerogative of modern homes with trendy decor (high-tech, pop art and etc.). So not everybody can afford them for their house or flat.